Monday 6 May 2019

OHAA - Can you scale it to single/small group combat?


So I’m skimming through the Of Armies And Hordes rules, as you do. 

I come to the bit on dungeons (P24 &25) Then you get to P27 and I quote* 

you could set up a dungeon on a side table and play out its exploration instead of rolling on the dungeon table. Treat each room or section of corridor as an area, and devise random tables to roll up room content.”*

*With permission.


A little light goes on. Let’s look at our recent game and do a trial:

Let’s adapt the forces. Well no.  My idea is that in need you already have your full playsheet, all you need is the application, not the adaptation.

The kidnappers. Militia, no problem there, I’m going to use figures & stats from our game.

3 Heavy Infantry @ 40p= 120. 4 2 6 Slow. Elan +1 on activation rolls, first turn only.

3 Pistol Crossbow local Border Reivers @43p = 126.
4 2 5 Shoot1 Devastating charge.

Priest 3 1 5
Lightning bolt 1,2,3 actions Max 1 target. Figs extra lives, may reroll.
1 area range LOS.
Rain of arrows 2,3 actions, +1, may reroll 2 area range.

Princess Jaslene Sasidaar. 6 1 4


Rescuers Militia. As above.

Leader Heavy Infantry 3 @ 27= 74. 4 2 6 Shieldwall +1D if pass a Qroll on 1D
(I’ve lumps some together her for ease/ lazyness)

Guild Crossbow @26. 5 1 5 Shoot2

Hound”  I didn't get the opportunity to point these out.  I used:
Monster size2, 4 3 5 Fast, Devastating charge.

White Ape Monster L3, 4 3 6 Tough, Devastating charge. 


You know, I can make mistakes.  No, no, it's true.  HI above should be 37, I made a typo copying across.  Damn spreadsheet will not cut n paste, so have to go old fashioned pen n paper.  Plus, I had intended to do these next time, not immediately after 2 games.  Did I tell you how FAST OAAH is?!

So here's our first attempt.  You've seen my Mercenaries on Mars series?  That used Rough Stars, which is excellent.  But detailed.  So - if we use the same rules.  I split the
area up to represent the different areas.  

Distance shooting and spells could be a problem.  If we take the same approach as below.  0 shooting (usually axes, stones)  = same area, 1 (javelins, skirmishers bows) next 2 3rd in LOS.  

Look, I added grit.  Now if normal OAAH is fast, these are draughts fast.  You take as much laying out the board as playing.  So if a unit of your troops wander into a dungeon, you can do this.



Same layout as in our larger game.  I take the rescuers.  I get a good advance, Tony 1 reaction.


The Dawg goes in dripping may open - but a reaction means it cops a crossbow bolt and dies.  That's familiar!



I've moved all mine so it's initiative switch.  Should we have done morale?  White ape (had 3 choices, diced for) and takes out a HI.


The priest turns it into a pin cushion (NOW he can do something!)


My HI avenges the Dawg's death.   Aaaaaah.


 My crossbowman takes down the pistol crossbow armed reiver.


The other pistoleer punches my HI in yet more revenge.


My leader rushes in, engages there's lots of thrust n parry.


My last HI joins in, but gets sliced n diced.


Crossbowman moves in for a better shot, gets shot.


My leader finally kills the HI.


The priest turns to run, but my leader gets the reaction and skewers him from behind in the approved manner.  There needs to be morale-.



Pistol crossbow lays him low.




Invaders 1,790

Now lets get up a notch. Can we use the rules for small unit engagements?  Sort of a 1/4 size game? 

I’m going to try:
Much smaller areas. I tried credit card for this one.  In future I'll try 50mm squareish. 
So a 300mm tile would give 6x6.  Ideal for inside a building or ship.
Units up to 4 or 2 cavalry.
Singles.
Shooting range 0= contact, 1 next square, 2, 2 squares
Magical shooting same, other spells count 4 squares as an area.

If I scale a force to 200/250?  That's what I tried below.  Too small. 500 would be about perfect. 

Attackers 258
4 Heavy Infantry @ 27 =104. 4 2 6  
(error as above, should have been 37 = 137 giving 288)
Shieldwall +1D if pass a Qroll on 1D

3 Guild Crossbow @26 = 78. 5 1 5 Shoot2

Flyer Mounted Sorcerer @76p. 3 1 5 Airship. Fast
Lightning bolt 1,2,3 actions Max 1 remove per unit. Figs extra lives, may reroll.
1 area range
Rain of arrows 2,3 actions, +1, may reroll
Eagles Eyes 3 actions, target gets +1 on next missile attack.
Once per game, no range.
(Would this be flying around a dungeon?  of course, these Fokkers go anywhere!  Aaah!  Pursuit through a city, artillery, small units of shooters.  Vooom and that roaaaar depending if good or bad)


Locals 252

2 Heavy Infantry @ 40p= 80. 4 2 6 Slow. (should have had one more )
Elan +1 on activation rolls, first turn only.

4 Locals @43p = 172 . 4 2 5 Shoot1 Devastating charge.

You need 4-5 sections per side to make a decent game. 



 Reivers bring down flyer - again.


HI hit reivers, send them back.


HI moves in, suffers.



Cumonthen!




Not the best of trials.  I can see the potential to either do a starter/interlude/end game as part of a campaign.  Watch this space.  Or, better still, constructive criticism welcome!





No comments:

Post a Comment