Thursday 13 September 2018

OGAM A quick Ares vs Hephaistos



Wargaming is my main social activity.  Given that most happens on this very table- I don't get out much!

So, got an invite from an old friend to join his occasional Wednesday group, I hobbled at the chance.  I'd had him here and introduced OHAA.  Now it's OGAM's turn.

I got there late, we talked.  Then we did a quickie, ooh er.  I chose the 2 smallest sides as we used a 2ft sq table.  A few trees for scenery and away we went.

The sides:
Ares. Group fighter, Combat master, Hammering blow, 376

Legends 
Achilles Q3 C3 Dashing, Invulnerability, Mounted@ 115, 
Hippolyte Q3 C3 Armored, Mounted @ 96,
Chariot Hero Q3 C3 Armored, Mounted @ 96 

Mortals
8xMymidion (CO) Q4, C3, Armored, Dashing @ 33, 6xOO javelin, Q4 C1 shooter short @ 11 1,002

Hephaistos. Q2 C4 Short move, Smithy. (I may add hammering blow in the future) 212
Legends
Tauroi Khalkeoi (bronze bull) Q3 C4 Armoured, Artificial, Big, Combat master. 118
Talos the bronze giant Q3 C4 Armoured, Artificial, Huge, Hammering blow. 120
Perseus Q3 C3 Invisibility helm Stealth, Ambusher (bad choice, never mind) 72

Mortals Automata Q4 C2 Artificial 17x 8 = 136
Heroes Q4 C3 Armoured, Steadfast, Greedy 27 x 8 =216
Javelin, Q4 C1 Shooter short, 11 x 12 = 132

Total 1,006

The game.  Gasp! No pics!  We were pushed for time and I was concentrating on the rules.  So-.

Matt took Ares.  I won the initiative and set up in a tight bunch mid table.  matt chose a "6" formation around 3 sides.

I had Hephaistos give Theseus +1 combat rather than armour.  A magic sword.  An anti-Achilles weapon.  I moved up a javelin unit up towards Achilles on my far right.  Then Theseus moved in and wacked him.  

That pissed off Ares who first attacked my giant, then stomped Theseus before laying on my poor javelins that kicked 'em down the board.  Meanstwhile in my rear the 2 chariots tried my bull and got stomped.  

With his javelins busy praying that left Ares and the Myrmidons.  I'd lost 2 legends and 1 javelin, so slightly in the lead.  I advanced my Heroes towards the Myrmidons with the javelins protecting their flank.  I nearly got there but my skirmishers were too good at rolling fails.

In come the Myrmidons, I get pushed back.  Then Ares joined in and they melt.  I send the bull in and it goes down before Ares.  an attempt to get Hephaistos in at the kill failed, he got flanked by the remaining 6 Myrmidons  Ares kills him!

But my javelins get him back, so Ares repeats the process.

That leaves me with 1 javelin- no!  They go off- table.  The Automatons will stand-.

Good, nasty, quick game!

I've done some work making this series a taster.  I made some handouts from the quick ref sheet, a list of all sides and  2 coffee stirrers glued measuring sticks.  An expanded army list with explanations for each side:

Hephaistos. Q2 C4 Short move, Smithy. (after deployment give +1C or armoured to 1 legend)


Legends
Tauroi Khalkeoi (bronze bull) Q3 C4 Armoured, Artificial, (no morale) Big,
Combat master. (1 attack per action)

Talos the bronze giant Q3 C4 Armoured, Artificial, Huge,
Hammering blow. (1 in melee -free hack, 6 +2)

Perseus Q3 C3 Stealth (in cover scenic item, no ranged attacks), Ambusher (ambush bonus +2)

Mortals
8 Automata Q4 C2 Artificial
8 Heroes Q4 C3 Armoured, Steadfast (+1 morale) ,
Greedy (if wipes out enemy, 1D, fail- 1 action next turn to continue)
12 OO Javelin, Q4 C1 Shooter short,


The crew.  I took these at behest for the OGAM facebook page.  Needless to say I'm one of the few wosnames of 15mm.





No comments:

Post a Comment