Monday 11 March 2019

OAAH Arcadian Raid or "Get orf moi Laaand!"

Scout choppers are an asset in Bronze Age warfare.

Not this Arcadia.  Not yet.  That's a Rough Stars game, not an Of Armies And Hordes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8g-eX2w-w

Last time the big game was early Mycenean Greek.  This time we move on a bit.  The spearmen aren't armoured, but they rely on javelins not pikes.  Thanks to Splintered Light
(Centaurs, Cyclops, Satyrs) here is the army of the Wyld Woode.  Just over 2,000 points here, but the troops are cheaper.  You got to cut yer wotsit by your thingy, I always say.

The setup.  A 6x6 grid.  I decided on 4 woods and 2 hills.  I diced - D6 for "longitude & latitude" then placing as indicated.  I came off worse-.  I had intended for 2 games, but we had one lazy one.

The Achaeans.

Chariot General 3 2 6 Chariot L3, General Tough, 3 lives
A) Light chariots 4 2 6 Chariots level 2, Fast, Skirmishers Shooters 1 x 4
BCDE) Spear. Javelin armed, 4 2 5 Shoot 0
FGHI) Archers 4 1 5 Shoot 2 Skirmishers  (as before, 1 unit  per spear unit)
J) Slingers 4 0 5 Shooters 0

Priestess 3 0 6 Beast Lord, Spellcaster with Chaos, Terror.
Beast Lord a General with Animal units (Lion and Hydra) only. Adding three melee dice to the unit’s melee dice total.
Chaos (2 Actions) Target is Disordered. Range of one area.
Terror (2 Actions) causes target to test Morale BEFORE combat. Cast when attacking or from an adjacent area. (this worked very well on the giant cyclops, sending him back twice)

Hydra 3 5 6 Monster3, Tough 3 lives.

Numean Lion 3 3 6 Monster L1 Savage, Fear, 4 lives
Savage count as inflicted additional hit for Morale only.
Fear.to attack the area pass a Morale roll one die.

Locals.
Centaur General 3 2 5 Mounted, Fast, 3lives.
Centaur Shamen 4 1 5, Mounted, Fast, Spell caster, Summon monster, Rain of arrows
Summon Monster (3 Actions) 1 per game may be summoned in caster’s area, ignoring stacking rules, one area away or shield another unit, area occupied by enemies. Disappears at the end melee.
Rain of Arrows (2 or 3 Actions) missile attack per action. Hit at +1, all results of one rerolled.

A) Centaur archers, 4 1 5, Mounted, Fast, Skirmishers, Shoot1
B) Centaur warriors, 4 2 5, Mounted, Fast, Devastating charge.
C) Centaur juvenile, 4 2 5, Mounted, Fast, Skirmishers, Shoot0.

Cyclops 4 4 6 Giant L2, Shoot2, tough, 2lives.
DE) Cyclops warriors 4 1 5 Forester, shoot0.

F) Satyr warriors 4 1 5 Forester, Ambushers, Difficult target.
One action to set up an ambush. Gain +1 to A and D
G) Satyr archers 4 1 5 Forester, Skirmishers, Shoot1.

The Game.  amusingly, I lost the roll so the Greeks are defending-.  I'm surrounded by fools!  The way we read the rules, if Tony had been defending he could have set his ambush anywhere in advance.


The low hill on my right flank, protected by the woods and the adjacent clear area become the centre of attack.  You'd think I'd be able to get my skirmishers up there easy.  But oh no.  My rolling is worse than normal.  Even the strategic use of coffee doesn't work.  Tony counters with his.


I'd hoped that the lion's Fear would help, but the centaurs just ignored it.  It got peppered but forced them back.


The Hydra took its time leaving the woods as the locals gathered in their masses.


Archers regroup, skirmish then go clippity clopperty out of it.



Chariots- my plan was to break through the screen and out before Tony could line the woods with hostiles, then hit things in the rear.


I hit the skirmishers and destroy them.


Your turn!


That hill-.


The warriors charge in, M.A.D.


I had a flank-.


Rushing past the lion the juveniles threaten!


Out for revenge, the archers take down the lion (last life) with skirmishing.  Again, Fear, not bothered!



Horray, it's moving!



Skirmishers attack through the trees, attacking the flank they destroy a chariot.  Note:  as you can have single-chariot units we allow the other to carry on rather than fade away.  Plus in shooting we give chariots a dice each, not half.  It gives them some punch for their cost!


Regroup!


Threatened by the Hydra, the juveniles fall back.


That hill's still empty!  Now if I can get my infantry-.


Rats, M.A.D again.


Somewhat exposed flank.


At last I get skirmishers on the hill, but the other runs foul of the cyclops.  Not so much throwing rocks as rolling them, we reckon.



The Priestess proves effective at pushing back the cyclops with her magic.


Hell- Hydra!



The 2 empty bases are woods - left base as they would catch, fall over and irritate.


His ambush in place, the other flank secure Tony advances in the centre.




I'm desperately trying to get mine to MOVE!


That's better!


Centaur Shamen-  who's name means "failure of activations".


The General.  I painted the centaurs as soon as they arrived, inspired by Avatar.


Hold the line!


Chariots lose to skirmishers. Again!



Watch the woods!


Meanstwhile back on the other flank-. I get my archers up, then get smashed.  I've always separated out the club and throwers, but I like the combination.  Looks good and fights well.



Chariot gets stoned.


How not to roll dice.  I'm doing well in that dept. today.




Amazingly I survive-.


I had a flank-.


Cyclops sent reeling by beastmaster.


Archers skirmish.


I could use that chariot on the other flank.


The survivors mix-


4 lesser infantry attack 5 heavier - and win.  I lose 2 and go back.  I examine dice.  Contrary to expectations there are 5 &6's!



Chariot goes in on flank!


And now the javelins-.



"Go on boy, get 'em!"


Unusually nobody dies, but the defenders lose more lives and go back.


My Hydra had lost a life, so the Centaur General goes in against him and the beastmaster.  The Hydra dies, there are 3 dice over which are transferred to the priest, killing her.  But the Hydra kills the general!  You can take it that the beastmaster was squashed in all the stomping and death throws.



The locals retreat, but I've nothing to chase 'em with!  Tony has more on the board (you can just see the large ambush unit in the far middle.



Good game! I thought I could do a short game and swap ends.  Ah well, next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment