Wednesday 17 November 2021

Of Gods and Mortals Sobek vs Poseidon



"The river runs through the war like a main artery.  They ferried us upriver on reed rafts (BBR's)  We could feel their eyes on us all the way.  One thing we learned, never get off the raft." 


Post revisionist Sobek. Sobek.  Q2 C4  Amphibious, Dashing, Water God. 248

Legends 

Beast of Sobek  Q3 C3 Amphibious, Huge,  Dashing, Armoured, Long move, Combat Master 126.

Sons of Sobek Q3 C3  Amphibious, Big,  Dashing, Armoured  88 = 352

16  Lesser (fortunate) Sons Q4 C2  Amphibious, Dashing, Armoured 27 = 432

4 Crocodiles  Q4 C2 Amphibious, Big, Animal, Short move, Armoured 18 = 72

 I revised-- Lesser Aspect.  Sobek can appear as a Legend in an Isis or Horus army: 

Q3 C4   Amphibious, Dashing,as above costing 94.


Sobek 248

Legends 478. 

Mortals 504

1,230


Poseidon Q2 C4 Amphibious, Part waters, Release the kraken, Water god 280

Legends  
Chimera Q3 C3 Cbt master, Poison, Shooter short, Flying, 112
Minotaur Q3 C3 Dashing, Labyrinth Armoured, Mounted 104
Hero on foot Q3 C3 60
2 Heroic Charioteers Q3 C3 Armored, Mounted, 84 x 2 168


Mortals 
Seapeoples Q4, C3, Armoured, Dashing 8x 39 = 312
Archers Q4 C2 Shoot medium 8x 20 = 140
Javelin Q4 C1 Shooter short 5x 11 = 55


God 280  
Legends 444
Mortals 507

Total 1,231

The Game.  Totally interesting scenery.  You roll for defender or attacker.  Defender adds terrain.  In this case me taking Poseidon.


There is an "inner" game within OGAM that we play a bit different than the rules:
Attacker is supposed to add the first unit but we find the Defender placing first makes sense, as the attacker then deploys to counter.  
Distance apart is supposed to be 2 Medium (from enemy) but we prefer 1 Long.

Using these 2 sets the game up as if the initial development has been completed.


Crocs deployed relative to my Seapeoples.


Tony does a sneaky.  Consider it an outflanking movement.  He deployed his legends deep as I'd put my Seapeoples and javelins aggressively forward.

Then he puts his 2 largest units and Sobek behind my flank.  That forces me to deploy my last chariot & his nibs further back.



That lead to a clash with Sobek backed by a big unit praying.  Didn't work, I win!




Much as I'd like to smash into his units, I have the wrong units in the wrong places.




The beast attacks!  Now here's the trend.  A (rare) tie.  My Seapoples lose 1, the beast beats a morale dice, so it's a lockdown.  But - it had caused a turnover so I start here.  It's combat 3 and rolls a 1.  I get a 5, combat 3, outnumbering +1, hitting when down +3.  Poor thing get handbagged.


On reaction the lesser (but fortunate) sons crash into the Minotaur and it's down!  We forgot smoke! 


A Son charges the Seapeoples.  Guess what - tied melee again.  I lose one, he loses morale roll & dies.


Sobek is back, another tied melee (!)  So that's a Clash of Titans.  Legends tumble and mortals awed on the busiest bit of the battlefield.


I get a legend up, but at the cost of turnover.


Stay tuned, the gods are glowering with weapons locked.  BTW, I put a layer of clear hard as nails on Big P's base & robes.  I think it works!


Crocs get enough to get there, but not attack.  There are "by the book" and the only unit not to have dashing. Over to me!


Here we go - I've got no-one I can use to pray, so it's on the dice.  I get 2 1 for Sobek so he strikes, being in contact.  I roll a 1----.


That sudden death gives me no favours.  Awed & down getting a morale fail disappear.



Hit those damn crocs!  I'm upgrading my chariots to 40x40 bases so I can use them for other games.  This one is a recent convert just needing a bit of flock.



Back with wet toes.


Damn those things are hard!  I start herding.


Here comes the big guy.



Here comes support - doesn't go well.



Taking it to the edge.


That went well- 


 At last I'd killed a croc - now I can leave the damn things.


The battle has now turned around, anchored on the water.


I start pounding legends before they destroy my remaining mortals.


An even rarer god v legend tie.  Poseidon goes back, legend down.


I manage to kill not one but both remaining legends!  The crocs, being animals, should then go but I forgot.


Sobek takes out my last hero.



Mortal vs mortal, soon I have no 4's left.  But amazingly my archers repulse the lesser sons.



Poseidon pounces, with 3 successes I strike Sobek down.



One left, retreated - and all mine too far away!


Sobek springs back.


Now its the final battle - and I lose.  With no group of 4 mortals to invoke, I'm done.



That was a different and usual game.  If you know why we play ogam and why we consider it the chess of wargaming it's all here.  Although only a few more points than the last one, it took 3 1/2 hours.  About the same time as the last 2 games together.



After, I found my BIG  Sobek.






No comments:

Post a Comment