Friday 9 July 2021

Forged In Battle goes to Mars

Do you remember February 2020?  I ran my first participation game in - too long.  Seems like another life, doesn't it?  Sort of double for me, 'cos the year before my visit to
Beachhead show was my first solo venture after my stroke.  Scary biscuits indeed.

I used Martian forces to demo Of Armies And Hordes.  

Now I'm comparing a cut-down version of that game (3x3 table instead of 4x3 and no aerial)  Would be good to do larger, but you know, plague zombies in enclosed room.  Once Tony has had 2nd jab and that kicks in---.

This is generated using meeting engagement 1.  The lighter force has been caught in motion by the larger.  No points listing, no attempt at fairness.

We are gearing up for Age of War Japanese with these rules.  I understand that Andrea has commissioned a supplement for same for next year, so we're jumping the gun with our petard firmly grasped in teeth there.

If you'd like me to expand and explore this VSF avenue please tell me!

The Rules.  Good and simple.  Complicated enough to be worthwhile, they do give an excellent feel.

If you're used to the D6 Ganesha method, there's no real surprises, usual Quality and Combat.  Combat & shooting an opposed roll adding C plus/minus a few factors.  Not the usual reaction, but any 1 in activation gives the opponent a free reaction.  The usual 2 fails and the Duck of Initiative passes.  As per, in this game we didn't get to activate every unit before it passed.  I've pointed out one below*.  Often these are pivotal events leading to calls of "I am surrounded by fools! (etc.)"

Unusually,  we didn't get to finish this game.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to leave in place then finish.

Now


Then.  interesting, same cloth reversed.


Euxinus Lacus Wagon train 

7 units including 1 baggage loosely based on early 30 years war list



Command.  General and 3 officers.  Q3 C2 Pistol.  Armoured.

Armoured 5,6 negates hit


2x  Infantry  each:

5 crossbow Q4 C1  

3 Pike Q4 C1 protected  

2 leaders Q4 C2 protected

Protected 6 negates hit.

Crossbow.  Long range, reload, protected no save, Armoured 6. (My adaption)


Infantry 

5 Swords Q4 C2 Protected 

3 Pike Q4 C1 protected

2 leaders Q4 C2 Protected 


2x6 Light Cavalry Caracole 5 Q3 C1 “pistol” Armoured.  

Leader Q3 C1 “pistol” Armoured

Caracole combine move & shoot in 1 action.
Pistol.  Short. No reload.

6 Lancer cavalry Trotter 5 + Leader Q3 C2 Lance  Armoured

Trotter  Medium charge move +1 1st combat.


2 Wagons Road.  Short Move.  Offroad 2 actions Short move 

Light Piece side mounted Q4 C1 Crew 3. Resilience 3

Shoot 2 Actions.  Reload 10.  Change orientation (wagon) 4

1st hit 4D

Wagon Leader on Breehr Q3 C3 “pistol” Armoured




Herculis  I’ve chosen a Polish Lithuanian army as the closest analogue.



Command 4 Cavalry, Q3 C2 Armoured

8 Lancers Galloper 5 Q3 C2 Protected.  

Leader Lance, Pistol, Q3 C2 Armoured

Gallopers Long charge move+1 1st combat.


2x6 Cavalry, Galloper 5 Q4 C2 Protected, impetuous

Leader   Q4 C2 Armoured, impetuous



Infantry
Q4 C2 4 polearm Armoured 
4 crossbow Q4 C1 
Leader Q4 C2 polearm Armoured

2x Infantry 4 Crossbow Q4 C1 4 Swords Q4 C1 Protected

2 leaders Q4 C2 Protected


2xHighlander Infantry 7 Sword & buckler Q4 C1  Leader Q4 C2 Protected

Impetuous regardless of morale, will always pursue

“Falcon” gun.  Crew 4 plus 1 Leader Q4 C1.

Shoot 2 Actions.  Reload 12.  1st hit D6


The Game.  Tony took the attacking Herculis.   The rules state that any unit greater than 3 Long from any enemy can make a move.  Then you roll as per usual.



My flank cavalry get jumped by Tony's lancers. 


3:2, the lancers win and mine are pushed back.  The impetuous lancers follow up until they're wiped out.  Boo!




Meanstwhile, on the other flank my cavalry do that wot they do, riding up to the highlanders, go "bang" and cause no casualties.  Not one.  Zilch.



Back on the other flank, my lancers crash into the flank of the successors.


My lancers won and I control them.  I bring up crossbows to finish the job.



Overview.  My remaining cavalry doing running around avoiding everything behavior.


My heavies hide from the cannon behind the rocks.  Brewing up, sarnies, probably bikkies.


I'd made these movement bases for the event.  The others are made for "Infamy Infamy" but are perfect for this game - and Quar.  I must get more - and the cannon bases.  https://www.charliefoxtrotmodels.com/collections/movement-trays/products/10-man-loose-order-movement-tray-a-based-on-uk-1p


Slowly the mighty engine of destruction moves forward.  This flank is turning into a Martian standoff.


Meanwhile on the other flank, um-.  I had hoped to do dashing things with my cavalry, but I never got 3 activations.


Tony pushes more infantry forward.  I take the risk and move up one of my wagons.



Excellent shooting!  My crossbows get 4 out of 5 hits & take out both leaders!  That pins them until a new leader can reach them from the command group.



Not exactly the best combat unit, but my infantry crash into the stricken unit and destroy it!




One left -


Ah- not the best place to end up.


* Here we go.  Now remember that 2 failures means a turnover?  And that a 1 gives your opponent a free reaction?  And that a charge takes 2 actions?  I had hoped to charge these into Tony's flanking cavalry to promote a general advance before the other infantry could turn up.  Deep breath.  What actually happened is that Tony's cavalry took the 2 reactions and slam into my infantries flank.



Mine are ridden down.


As they are thrust back, there is an exchange of cannon fire going Bang!



I manage to get my lancers moving, to save my infantry.  Their turn to be ridden down.


Now it's the turn of the heavies.  Mine bottle out, probably realising that the cannon was a bit close--.


The advancing infantry now realise that they are the flank & there be lancers.  The crossbow bring one down.


Getting away from the crossbow forces my lancers into a wide arc.



The highlanders and command start to sneak around the rocks.



Bang!  My second cannon inna wagon lets loose.  Missing the command unit completely the shot takes the head of a highlander--.


The command takes out my wagonmaster.



I get a second shot!  One gone from the command and another from the highlanders.  Each Long means 1 less dice.



More exchange of bangs, crews reduced.


Tony starts to envelope my wagon.  I think that's called "going postal".



The command unit engages my wagon.  It puts up an excellent defence, leaving only the CnC alive.  But my gunne wagon is gonne wagon.



Alas, we ran out of time.  Unfamiliarity with the rules (and trying to get things right) cost us an hour.  I think I would have lost -


Tonys highlanders could charge my other wagon while his cavalry took out mine.

My lancers could probably take his cannon from behind, but then there are those crossbows-.


1 comment:

  1. I got Tango'd!http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=554195

    ReplyDelete