Friday 24 July 2015

OGAM Pan vs Ares The final game and campaign suggestions




Game 3. Tony get another 10%. Rather than going for numbers he has upgraded a unit of spearmen to Amazons. All the great heroes are gone, so he has called upon a Gorgon and chariot mounted heroes.

I get rid of my useless Satyr heroes and will try Centaurs as a foil for his Amazons, who all love hard centaurs.

1,540 + 10% = 1,696
Ares 336
Legends Euryale the Gorgon 120, 2 armoured heroes @ 70= 140, 2 chariot mounted armoured heroes @ 96 = 192

Mortals 2x 8 Spearmen @ 20= 360,  2x 4 archers @ 20 = 160, 2x 8 Javelins @11 = 176
1x8 Amazons @ 28 = 224
(1) God 336
(5) Legends 452
(7) Mortals 920
Total 1,708

Pan 308
Legend 3 Centaur heroes @ 86 = 258, 2x Cyclops shooter = 154
Mortals 4x8 satyr 32 @15 = 480, 3x 4 satyr archers 12 @20 = 240
(1) God 308
(5) Legends 412
(7) Mortals 700

Total 1,440



What you want all the sordid details? Bastard, I'll tell your mum I will.

As before I set up as the defender, using 6 woods to provide a nice shrubbery with paths, or a choke point if you prefer to go all technical. For the first time Tony won the initiative and placed his Gorgon on his left, which allowed me to place Pan quite forward. His deployment was a strong armoured left flank with the Amazons and Ares on the right. Mine was a curved line with a tactical reserve, archers on the flanks and legends close to the front and centre.

 

Tony started with his Gorgon – who lost the initiative, using her 1 move to hide in the woods. I tried to get a general advance from the centre that ended in a mess that Tony's chariot hero took advantage of. Even a god can roll 2 fails. Pan managed 4.

I lost a few but managed to throw him back. Then came in Ares. I had no choice but to send in Pan, which ended up in a head-butting match until a draw- instant awe on those around, which was mostly mine. I refused to follow up and was able to get some un-awed (de-awed? Thawed?) My Cyclops went for his hero, which got pushed back (mounted, so no follow-up) so I sent in a centaur. He's still awed, so this is +2, mounted vs mounted so no pluses, and 1 dead centaur! Doh!

On my right I used the other cyclops to lob rocks at Tony's javelins until Ares came and mashed him. Pan took care of the 2 mounted heroes. I'd advanced my archers and a centaur to as close to Ares as I'd dared.



The Amazons advanced through the woods contacting the cyclops, who made a tactical withdrawl into the woods, running in and dispatching the still- awed Gorgon! Considering how well she'd done for Hades, well under par this time around.

Now it was meat-grinder time. The Amazons advanced, plowing my archers – the result was they now appeared on my rear flank. An hero crunched his way through one of my unarmoured Satyrs. Pan swept through the remains of the javelins, heading for the rear of the Amazons.

Nor was Ares of the posy helm slow in killing my centaur and advancing to my rear, causing Pan to divert. Yet again there was a clash. Ares had troops spare to invoke, Pan didn't. Pan dies. There was not enough left so game end.
 


Playing a campaign.

Do it! We enjoyed the process and it was easy to sort out the extra troops, get organised for the next game at the end of each. An e mail reminder of who has what.

Have lots of options. We hadn't considered that the death of the unique legends would have a major impact.

My idea of winner fights in losers terrain certainly works and felt logical and as expected having the correct troop types did help.

I think starting points are worth a lot of consideration. I wanted 1,500 point games and Tony ended up with 1,700. I think winner should get 10% of original total. I did a bit of “creeping” upwards by 35 points. You may consider more exacting “compulsory” troop options, perhaps as a percentage to make a “realistic” troop mix.

Terrain is worth considering, with each force being given its own choices. For instance Ares would want open plane for manoeuvre where Pan would go for woods, rivers, hills and march.

Have fun! Don't be afraid to change anything in mid flow if you get a better idea. For instance if one side gets totally stomped, get another god to come in revenge. I'd say Apollo or Aphrodite for Ares and Athena or Artemis for Pan in our case.

If you want to be more competitive – club level, have some cards made up with (say) 500 worth of god & hero and 500 of mortals and deal them randomly.




 




The Greatful Dead







The Pony, having smacked, moves on


 









They're behind you!

No comments:

Post a Comment