Sunday 31 October 2021

Forged in Blood. High Crusades 4 When the drums go Rrrat Rrrat Trrat

“Sire, the enemy is approaching!”  --  “Sacred Blue!  Form a line sort of thing!”

Background music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0N9eUe9L_0

I got these League of Ratsburg a while back - I'd had my eye on them, and others, for years and their new fantasy prompted an order, followed by a second.  Both rather "shotgun" I need more pike.  https://www.pendraken.co.uk/league-of-ratsburg-791-c.asp

"How is the plot going, you're using Plan B?  Allowing the primitives to think they captured a ship then dumping them?  Best vehicle for social change, they will learn and adapt much faster than if we tried to force them."  The subordinate shifted uneasy.  "Sir, we lost good people, youngsters and eggs."  The superior preened.  "Those who join the star service accept the risk.  A few deaths are acceptable, promotes advancement."  The subordinate was silent.  "You dropped them on Ratatania?  Good, the League are excellent mercenaries but a local conflict will hone them!"

The second "colonial" game.  I thought in this scenario the Achaeans would take a very aggressive stance and attempt to head them off at the pass.  If I'd followed the book they would have been up against AFV's but I couldn't see a way of making this work.


Royal Blues  Galloper Cavalry 1 Leader Q3 C2

Duddleswell Dragoons 1 Leader Q4 C1 Arquebus


Cheddars.  Buff & green.
2Pike  Q4 C1 Protected
7 Musketeers Q4 C1 
Officer Musketeer  Q3 C1
Sergeant Pike Q3 C1 Prot
ected

Blue Vinneys
2 Pike  Q4 C1 Protected.  
Pike officer and Sergeant Q3 C2 Protected.
6 Musketeers Q4 C1 

Wensleydale Greens
3 Pike Q4 C1 Protected.
Pike officer and Sergeant Q3 C2 Protected.
5 Musketeers Q4 C1 

Red  (not painted) Leicesters
3 Pike Q4 C1 Protected.
Pike officer and Sergeant Q3 C2 Protected.
5 Musketeers Q4 C1 

2 Regimental Light Pieces  Crew 2 + Officer Q4 C1
Shoot 2 actions.  Reload & realign 10.  Change orient, 4

It being that time of year 'er in doors found a bag of rats.  I had a brainwave, quick docking, thin layer of (guess what!)  hard as nails.  

As you can see, when it dries it grips even soft plastic quite adequately.



The Attackers!


Pike General  Q3 C3  Protected


3 x Pike.  

2 Leaders Q4 C2 Protected

8 Pike  Q4 C1 


2 x Myrmidons Impetuous
1 Leader Q4 C3
7 Q4 C2


4 x Warbands  Flighty
2 Leaders Q4 C2
4 spear Q4 C1
2 Archers Q4 C0 Long, hit on 6

1 Warband
1 Leaders Q4 C2
2 spear Q4 C1
5 Archers Long, hit on 6


Methodology.  I divided the two edges 1-6. We worked out orders of march.  Tony had Ratsberg and I gave him the option of "coming or going".  He rolled a 6, so was able to cram everything on the road.  I rolled a measly 2 so was way back.  We diced for the 3 hills.

 



I took the initiative as the attacker.  The sides stare at each other across the pass.

As per - 2 fails means change over.  The rules allow any unit further away than 3 Long to have a free move.  This game started to have a real Zulu feel.

My forces appear, Tony manoeuvres.  This has the right feel.

Artillery is a group action.  You roll per normal & multiply by crew.  So far this lot has 9, setting up & loading takes 10.

The dragoons underestimate their opponents.  10 vs 8, so it's 2 on 1 and equals.  Each dragoon also dices for rider or mount.  I keep forgetting that an A5 clipboard is an excellent way to "explode" the combat.

2 foxes have run off, 2 dismounted vs 2 dead.  Disordered the Dragoons go back.


The Dragoons take advantage of a reaction (I rolled a 1) to get rid of the disorder before getting charged in the flank.  They do better but reduced to under 50% they go fox hunting cunningly disguised as a rout.  The ripple of morale fails breaks the infantry line.  The Wensleydales flee the field.





Oh for cavalry!  If I can get there--.


All on bar the last archer heavy warband.


Tony's cavalry charge!  My unit breaks on morale.  This allows the cavalry to run through - causing 1 casualty per rider.  10--.  Then there's the morale effect.  My pike, just on, go away. 



Ooooh crappe----


The artillery lets rip, causing casualties in 2 units, these will tell later.


My pike grind into the cavalry flank, sending them orf.




Damaged by the artillery, my infantry fail to make an impact on the Vinneys and Cheddars.





The Dragoons have rallied and dismount to cover the cavalry's retreat.



Boom! Vinneys destroy my unit.


Boom!  Very effective shooting by the Dragoons, destroys the front rank of my pike including both officers.  My pike go back--.



The Dragoons are charged again, the morale allows them to reform.  A 1 akllows them to reload on reaction!  Reducing opponents to under 50%, both retire.


The cavalry have regrouped and wipe out another unit.



At that stage my morale was shot.  Fascinating game with a different feel and lots of "what ifs"

I got cheesed by the Rats of Ratsberg.

I hope you enjoyed this romp through High Crusade.  As always I hope I tempt you to say "I could do that."

Excelsior.






No comments:

Post a Comment