Friday 26 April 2019

OAAH Oni Wars 2 The Mountan vs The Foothills x2


Sizewise, these games are just about perfect.  Enough for manoeuvring, variety and 2 good games in a 4 hour period with enough time for picture downloading and the all-important coffee drinking.

Here are the basic armies as I originally planned them:

Mountain. 1,997
Bakemono 16 Rabble, 16 Archers, 8 Heavy.
Oni General, 5 infantry, 4 Dog scouts, 3 big Oni Berserkers, Dragon mage.

This time I tried the berserks as individuals.  This may have made them less effective but more flexible.  A set of roaming menaces.  There's always the option to have a smaller unit of "more normal" berserkers.

As for the Dragon Mage, she did some stuff this time!  The combined ops option of using magic to disrupt then hit with a berserk or big Oni worked.  I should have changed the spells and upgraded to Monster level 2 for the loss of a couple of heavies.

Foothills. 1,975 
Bakemono 16 Rabble, 16 Medium, 10 Heavy.
Oni General, 5 infantry, 3 big Oni Berserkers, Dai Oni.

On consideration this force was too similar, so I opted for goblin cavalry, swapping 4 for the 3 Oni bererkers.

4 2 5 Mounted Fast, Devastating charge @ 43.

Both sides are fairly "bare".  More monsters can be added without upsetting the balance too much.  You can take these as our basic army list.

Terrain.  I decided to make some quick rolling terrain.  I got some scrap foam tiles and used the knobbly side.  I covered it in a good thick layer of generic no-more-nails and left overnight to dry.  A coat of brown followed by a mix of flock, particularly the foilage type that's done an excellent job of disguising the knobs.  I should have shampered the edges.  There is a bit of curl- curiously the one done with my normal base mix seems to be the worse.  The first one I left under a weight with kitchen paper on top once partially dry.  Seems to be flatter and the paper didn't stick. I tried bending them, with no detrement.  I'd bung these in a carrier bag and not worry about damage.

I rolled for position.  Same combination 3 times.  Go do the maths.


The Game.  Tony took the Foothills (red) and me the mountain (blue).  He comes on in a rush, nice line!


Meeting of the Heavies, my Dragon and Berserker vs Dai Oni and flag-carrying general.


This dragon is a fantastic model in too-many bits!  The base has a small raised bit for attaching.  I didn't trust my drilling/pinning skills so I added an Alternative Armies to beef up the joint.


Crunch!  Dai Oni wins.



His cavalry dash into my rear, hitting the archers hard.


The cavalry are seen off by the Oni.


A pile-up develops in the centre.


Tony's heavies charge my Oni, get beaten back.



Horde on the hill, threatening coffee, good start!


Mediums go up against heavies and win!  Didn't expect that-.




On a roll, they smash into my depleted Oni!  And win again!



Tony now has more of a column than a line, my horde is eying his.


On the forgotten flank, my scouts attempt to bite the Dai Oni in the ass, but get theirs clocked instead-.


Tony's Oni can now flank me.



Our first clash of hordes!


Tony's wins.


Berserker - clobber!  ah well, not that good-.



With better odds, the general charges downhill!


Clobbered, captured, then supporded by the Dai oni-.



I've little left-


The remnants of the mediums take on and kill the last Berserker.




Excellent game.  Tony's mediums stole the show.


Game 2 - go on, you say it.


Airmobile!


Cavalry get caught betwix a hard place and a rock.  Berserker takes down half of them.



The remnant retreats, fortunatelly there's a gap.


Tony looks poised to go in any direction.


Centre then-.


Berserker charges horde as soon as they take the rise, but goes down with a poor showing.



Can archers do better now the've been weakened?



My dragon is in the thick of it, loses a life to the Dai Oni and is thrown back.




The horde get a reaction, charge downhill against the archers, both wiped out.


Mediums absorb Berserkers charge.


Heavies crash into my Oni and do remarkably well by not getting deaded.



My horde take advantag and pile in.  They do remarkably well, 11 out of 16 kills.  But so do Tony's heavies.  Only one fail.  As the target is a horde, 12 are killed by the 6 successes.



A big gap!


Aided by the dragon's disruption, the heavies defeat Oni in the narrow pass.



Enraged, the Dai Oni charges downhill and shoves them back.



Very rare general on general action!


Tony's is repulsed.


Overkill



Coming to the end.


Dai Oni finishes off troublesom dragon.


One figure bought recently, the other's first out-of-the-box-it-came-in in about 10 years.  Based using grit & sand + PVA, so that's pre 99p shops and generic no-more-nails.  Black wash undercoat as opposed to white gesso.


Mediums charge general, pushes him back.



Archers try their hand, but these mediums are working well today!




In response my heavies attack Tony's general- also flung back.



In a last spasm of carnage, my largest heavies remnant attempt to punish the mediums but fail spectactularly.


The mediums then make a more than desperate bid for my general and get stomped.


Tony wins this one-



Once again 2 excellent games in 4 unrushed hours.  A couple of monsters and/or another magic user, possibly an objective would add spice and depth. I need to consider a fuller set of army lists.





No comments:

Post a Comment