Friday 1 March 2019

OAAH BIG game. Acheaen Greeks vs Skeleton Horde

I had to get this one out of my system.  As Tony had a holiday I pounced on the opportunity.

Last time I went through the planning process.

Just to recap the forces:




Undead 
A) 10 Archers 4 1 5 Shooters1 Undead
B, C) 16 Spear 4 2 5 Undead Pike Slow
General 3 2 6 Chariot level3, Undead, General extra lives 3
Bodyguard 3 2 6 Chariot level3, Undead, Bodyguard
D) Chariots 4 2 6 Chariot level3, Undead, Trample
E) 12 Swords 4 1 5 Undead
F) 8 Javelin 4 1 5 Shooters 0 Undead
G) Rabble 414 Rabble Horde Undead

Achaeans.
A) 16 Rabble Javelin 5 1 4 Rabble, Horde, Shooter 0
B) 12 Spear 4 2 5 Pikes Slow
C) 4 Archers 4 1 5 Shoot 2 Skirmishers
Sub General Odysseus 3 3 6 Sub commander Inspiring leader, 3 lives 119
D) 2 Chariots with armoured lancers 4 2 6 chariot L3, resilient
E,F,G,H) 4x4 Skirmishers 4 1 4 skirmishers, shooters0,
I) 12 Cretan city state javelin 4 1 4 shooters0,
Bronze Bull 4 3 7 Artificial, Monster level 2, Tough, Trample, Devastating charge.
Prince of Minos the Taurus 3 2 3, General, Chariot L3, Resilient, 3 extra lives
J) BronzeMen 4 2 6 Pikes, Slow, Artificial, Drilled
K) 12 Cretan archers 4 1 4 shooters 2
L) 4 Skirmishers 4 1 4 skirmishers, shooters0,
M, N) 2x2 Light chariots level 2, Fast, Skirmishers Shooters 1


The Game.  Tony took the Undead and got the initiative.  One thing about these rules, as you can usually do one move you tend to roll 2 dice.  So the result is fairly split between actions, rollover, and reaction. 

The consequence is that this is a very, fast game-  this one took us just under a lazy 2 hours.  If we'd followed the army break rules, we could have easily done a half-time-change-ends during our normal 31/2 hour evening time-slot.

On reaction I get skirmishers into the evil wood and moved most of my left forward.



The thunder, rumble and clatter of heavy chariots.


Feeling outnumbered, my horde moves forward on reaction.



My heavy chariots surge forward.  as is often the casewith 2 matched forces, they wipe each other out.


Should have smoke, I made some destroyed chariots.


The undead swords smash into my horde.


Ouch.  My last 2 do a runner.


On the other flank my light chariots are boxed in and less-than-stellar.



The evil General Persephone (not perspiration, no)


Static chariots get wiped.


A few javelins then a runner.




Rabble clear my skirmishers out.



March of the Bronze men.


Crunch!


Tony still has a viable unit left.


Where's all mine gone!


Cretans move forward.



Crunch, my javelin survive, just!  But so do the pike-.



Amazingly I finish them off with javelin.


Biggest mistake!  I try sending the bull through the woods. The idea was to hit the bodyguard chariot in the flank.   About 8 rolls- all fails, several turnovers.


Revenge, the pikes walk over my remaining Cretans.



The archers put up a good fight.



Persephone advances.


I'm being squeezed like toothpaste.  If we were doing the army break, t'wood have been about now.


I wheel my pike.  Now the largest unit on the board.


Chariot clashes! She wipes out my archers.


Then head for my pike!


Meanstwhile my chariots gets some javelins in, but Tony gets the initiative, 2 good rolls, passes the morale & grinds my chariots.




Crunch!  Crackle!  Pop!


My pike are there, just! - The one's at the back are dead.


With no-where left to go, my General charges the undead pike.



That was- vicious, but I'm dead and they are still hanging on!


On the other flank there's still some left,  my massed skirmishers caused a stand-off.  Both Tony's could take them, but the attacker would also melt.


Immovea-bull.


In goes the swords.


Skirmishers lose 4, swordsmen 3.  The skirmishers retire.


The last pike finally meet.



Tony's archers finally come forward.


Skirmishers regroup and attack!



Odysseus attacked.


Triumphant!




As the hero goes down, the bull finally, finally moves!



The archerssimply cannot touch him, all their hits fail-.


Back-


Again!


Next.


With the mere shake of his head, the javelins are laid low.


With red eyes gleaming and bronze body shining redly.  That music as it crunches the skulls of the fallen under its brazen hooves.


Wow.  That went well.  No surprises or hiccups.  There's the thorny issue of across tangents.  We discussed this, skirmishers and cavalry it's natural. Formed infantry we thought that they would be at an angle rather than square on. The idea that they'd shuffle sideways then march forward- from our experience it's easier to get a formation to move at a slant.

1 comment: